Saturday 20 July 2013

2 - Orange Drop Cookies

Cookie number 2 is the yummy Orange Drop cookie. This was the other one I'd tried before when I first started this blog so I was more than happy to make these again. This is another cakey type cookie. There's a little blurb about this cookie that says it came to Betty Crocker from a Mrs Paul Lindemeyer from Mason City, Iowa. So thank you Mrs Lindemeyer for sharing your delicious recipe with the world!

Orange Drop Cookies

2/3 cup shortening (butter)
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup orange juice
2 tbsp grated orange rind
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt





Okay so you first heat your oven to 400F (190-200C). Mix the butter, sugar and egg thoroughly.






Then add the orange rind and juice. Stir all the dry ingredients together and blend into the wet mix. Mine looked like this:





You then drop rounded spoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie tray and bake 8-10 minutes or 'until delicately browned on edges' as Betty says.




Here's how mine turned out. This mix is meant to make 4 dozen 2 inch cookies. Mine are bigger than that though. All the pictures in the book are of small cookies. I guess that just shows how our meal sizes have changed over the years. Even our cookies are bigger!

Betty instructs us to frost these cookies so I just made up an orange icing with butter, icing sugar and some orange juice. Here's the finished product:




These are very flavourful but don't eat too many as they will make you feel ill. I ate waaaay too many one night. My boys weren't too keen on these but I enjoyed them.

Next up is something they will enjoy though - Chocolate Drop Cookies. I'm not a huge chocolate fan so I'm not expecting to love these. They have buttermilk in them which I thought was interesting.

Happy Baking!

:)

2 comments:

  1. Hello did you use shortening or butter

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was the first recipe I ever learned to make. I was 13 in 1963, my Mom worked , and came home from school and wanted something to eat and there was nothing 'good". I took out the Betty Crocker's cookbook and there it was..... Orange Drop cookies. We had all the ingredients and that was the first of many batches I would make after school for me and my brothers. I loved the soft texture and the lovely taste of orange.

    ReplyDelete