Sunday 28 July 2013

3 - Chocolate Drop Cookies

I made these cookies earlier in the week but as anyone with young children would know sometimes it's hard to find some time to yourself to do things like blog!

OK so onto our first (of many I'm sure) chocolate cookies. As I've mentioned before I'm not a massive fan of chocolate cookies although I think I'm slowly being converted.

Here's the ingredient list:

1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
2 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
3/4 cup buttermilk or soured milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 cup plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chopped nuts if desired (I DID NOT desire!)





I was excited to see a recipe using buttermilk because I know how yummy it is in baking. I was also surprised because I thought it was a more modern ingredient to use.

To start these cookies off you mix the butter, sugar, egg and chocolate well. Then stir in the buttermilk and vanilla. Sift the flour and combine with the soda and salt then blend into the wet mix. If you're using nuts then stir them in now. You then need to chill this mixture for an hour like the Applesauce cookies.

Here's what mine looked like after all that. This dough was so delicious! Really light and fluffy. Yum!



Drop rounded spoonfuls of the dough onto a lightly greased baking tray then bake at 400F 8-10 minutes 'until no imprint remains when touched lightly'. Then if desired you can frost them with either Browned Butter Glaze, Mocha Butter Icing or Marie's Chocolate Icing. Oh the choices! I chose not to ice them as again I made these too late and couldn't be bothered. They were fine without anything on top and the next day I thought were even nicer.





I'm guessing all these Drop Cookies are going to be cake-like. I'm looking forward to moving onto the crispier cookies but that doesn't appear to be happening for some time.....

The next three cookies are variations on the Chocolate Drop Cookie. The Cocoa Drop Cookie, Chocolate Cherry Drops and Double Chocolate Drops. I guess I have to do all of these since the challenge was to bake ALL of the recipes from the book. Cocoa Drop Cookies are exactly the same as above but with cocoa powder instead of chocolate. Oh well it'll be chocolate central in our house for a bit.

Happy Baking :)

No comments:

Post a Comment